Week 2 was focused on learning IRC and Wikis. I have a lot of prior experience with IRC. In the past, I used mIRC for windows, but since I have moved to using Linux as my main OS, it was a little different to get used too. First, I had to research GUI IRC clients. I first connected through the terminal, but the interface just isn’t clean enough for me. I don’t want to have to type a command to see who is currently in the server. I wanted something that I could see everything on one clean screen. I finally stumbled on X-Chat. This is very similar to mIRC for Windows. It has all the information you need in a simple, easy-to-use, interface.
The Eucalyptus project sounds interesting, but I was also interested in another 3D graphics project too. Unfortunately, I don’t have the time to work on both projects simultaneously. The main developers have us working on the eutester portion of the project. They said there is more documentation than actual code to write. I wasn’t very thrilled with this idea, but I guess we will see how everything falls into place.
I wasn’t present for the class, and I never made the Wiki, but I have some experience in editing Wikis from a robotics class last semester. I would really like to see this project get off the ground floor and some serious progress made, but my group hasn’t but the most cooperative at this point. We’ll just have to wait and see how things develop over the next few weeks.